Tuesday 20 October 2020

Last Run Out Of The Year

 Seems a bit early to be saying I've been on the last run I'll go on this year, but there you go - it's been a funny old year.

The alarm went off at 05:30 & I left the house at 6 - with the roof & side windows down. The meet point was somewhere I'd never been, so I was pleased when I saw the cars in a pub car park & turned round & went back.

After the last of our number arrived, we set off. I went last to avoid holding anyone up, but when we came to a tee junction the five ahead of me got out easily - me, not so much, I kept up (ish) & then at the next tee junction again five sevens got out with a clear road, I wasn't going to make it - but the car on the main road slowed to allow me out! I wasn't really in a fast mood & was slowly dropping back, but then caught up at anothe tee junction, only to have the same happen again, five got out, but the traffic on the main road was a queue of about a dozen. This time I had no chance.

But not to worry, I pootled along hapilly & after a while a voice over the radio said "Tony , can you hear me" & a few seconds lated I found the sevens in a lay by.

After the usual "comfort stop" we set off again & after not very long on a small road I caught up with the others stopped & could see someone standing with a horse at the side of the road. I fully expected that our lead car was getting a berrating, but it turned out he was getting thanked. The horsey person in question had been struggling with a "flighty" horse & we'd gone slowly up the road & waited while they got the animal sorted.

Inevitably I dropped behind again, I just wasn't "on it" that morning, but I rolled into the breakfast venue as they were climbing out of the cars at Sumner's Ponds caravan site. All was not well though. They weren't letting people sit inside, you could only order breakfast by downloading an app & there was no phone signal so you had to connect to the WiFi first. We looked at the A4 sheet full of instructions & decided to go to the Chalet.

I knew I had the Chalet in my SatNav so quickly jumped in the car, did up the three point seat belt started the engine & set off thinking I'd at least be first on one of the sectors. I followed the SatNav along some country lanes & then onto an A road, there was a bit of space ahead of me because I was only doing 45 or so. Imagine my delight when the five sevens pulled out of a side turning ahead of me! Last again.

Anyway, there were no mobile phone shenanigans at the Chalet, we sat down indoors, ordered at the till & paid with money. We had our faces covered, we kept a reasonable distance, we licked no strangers - all the sensible stuff & we sat chatting for an hour or so. All very pleasant. As usual there were some interesting things in the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment