Saturday 3 November 2018

Mind The Gap

The filler cap is finished, it wasn't without its tribulations. When I left it, it was working but the boot lid was sitting too high, so first job this morning, I cut the cake tin / splash bowl down so there was an even gap.

Obviously where there's a touch, I cut that back - then it touched somewhere else, so that got trimmed. Eventually there was an even 2mm gap all round with the boot lid in its' proper place. Then I fitted the filler cap back on & found the hinge pin hadn't been riveted over & was creeping out.
 It got replaced with a titanium bolt.

This it was the same process again, mark where the boot lid touched the filler, cut it back, re-try. Over a couple of hours I got the gap pretty even & the cap works nicely.

It's one of those details that needs a lot of thinking, then a lot of work & you'll know if you've got it right because no-one will notice it because it looks natural on the car.

I cleaned up the edges & applied a coat of the yellow nail varnish I keep for this sort of thing & stuck some rubber edging round the splash bowl..

So the cap fits, it works & all that's left to do is raise the boot rack to clear the cap when it's open.

Friday 2 November 2018

The Cap Fits!

This afternoon I've been fitting the new fuel cap to the Fury. The old one came off easy enough & the new one seemed happy enough, so I cut the cake tin / splash bowl to suit & tentatively fitted the boot lid, the existing hole was way too small & it looked as if I'd need to cut a slot a long way forward to allow the cap to open, so I began tentatively, removing small amounts of GRP with a tungsten carbide file. Then (inevitably) I got bored & went at it with a coarse burr (like a cylindrical-file-on-a-stick) mounted in a drill gun......set on "fast".

This may sound like the prelude to a tale of woe, but I was not failed by my aircraft fitting skills & I must say I'm rather pleased with the result.

There's more work to do yet. I need to even up the gaps & the boot lid isn't sitting down properly yet, but height-wise it's pretty much exactly where I wanted it

And - astonishingly - it opens! (that's a locking cap inside the lid).
Again, there's a little more cutting & filing to do to make it work "nicely", but it is going to be extremely cool

The new splash bowl is only just big enough & is fouling the boot lid stiffeners a little, but again that's just fettling, once I've got the boot lid to sit down properly.

Once it's all done & working I need to shorted the boot rack stays a bit as the lid just fouls as it opens, so the rack needs to be lifted a little.