The Stylus has been out on the road & I can confirm the oil stayed in the axle. There were no untoward noises & it all seems fine.
I have also put together a video of the RRD26 Day 3 when it all started going horribly wrong & the bearing can be heard clonking some miles before I noticed it - the rear camera is bolted down to the chassis to will pick up transmitted sound better than I can hear it. As to what cased the catastrophic failure of an eleven month old rear wheel bearing from a reputable manufacturer I have no clue, but I'm REALLY hoping it doesn't happen again.
These are bits that came out of the bearing:-Looks like bits of the dirt shield to me, they're not thin items & they are very bent up.So now that's sorted (hopefully), the next job is my lovely girlfriend's car - the alternator is under suspicion at the moment, but investigations will begin at the weekend.
Then there's another SKCC member who needs new lower wishbone bushes, so I'll be calling in to bring the wishbones back to my garage.

No comments:
Post a Comment