Wednesday, 2 September 2026

DevonBlatt The Forth - Prologue

The DevonBlatts began as a gentle "season opener" before the main road trip in May each year & a WalesBlatt in September. But as we no longer go to Wales since it has become tourist hostile & last year, organising two road trips inside a month was too much, we've moved the DevonBlatt to September & extended it to the length of the old WalesBlatt.

Will it work? Well the weather will be similar to April & it's at the end of the season, so the traffic could be OK, but it might be festooned with retirees driving campers - imagine, retired folk out on a driving holiday! Tch!

We are going back to out usual hotel, the very nice "Laston House" where there aren't evening meals, so we'll stroll into town, I have three different restaurants booked.

The Stylus is running OK - if a little smelly. I put two gallons of diesel in it by mistake, fortunately that only took it to 1/2 full, so I was able to brim it with petrol to dilute it enough to limp home (on 25% Diesel) where I drained 5 gallons out & then refilled it again, so it's down to 6% diesel now & apart from being a little hesitant to start, it's fine once it's warm. So can I claim it's a hybrid? It's running on two different fuels after all. Hopefully in the next few days I'll get the chance to run it around & dilute the diesel a bit more before DevonBlatt IV.

In other good news I think I have solved the riddle of my lovely girlfriend's Tiger windscreen wiper problem - possibly both problems. The wipers work for about three wet days, then stop working. Later they will just work again. I reasoned this must be water related & the large hole in the dash so the ignition key can be fitted into the column looked a likely ingress point. A little CADing & a flexible print later & there is now a shield over the hole which should stop the majority of the water getting in. There was also an issue with the wiper self park - it didn't. My Girlfriend had always assumed this was "because KitCar", but we assured her the wipers should self park & I approached the Tiger with a multi meter & a wiring diagram. I proved that the self park signal was getting back to the switch & the switch itself was a likely suspect. But where to get a 40 year old stalk switch? Ebay offered a few at £50 each, but a message posted on the Rogues whatsapp almost immediately produced an offer of a matching pair of switches from a guy who sold his kit a couple of years ago. They were exchanged for beer, the wiper side switch was swapped into the Tiger & IT WORKED!

So if there's anything that will guarantee no rain on DevonBlatt IV, it's making the wipers work.

EXCELLENT 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment