Saturday 28 January 2023

Filler - Again



I probably mentioned last time that the filler looked to be sticking up too much. Today I set about sinking it a little. Job 1 was to cut down one of the cake tins I received from Linda in exchange for some fine ale from the local brewery - two tins for two tins as it were. It was surprisingly thin, less that 0.5mm, but with careful cutting I trimmed it to size & shape. Then I started making a pair of brackets to support it just under the skin of the rear wing - I used an angle-finder tool I made in the Hawker apprentice training school FORTY FIVE years ago. Hmm, bit of a shock to me too.



It was all a bit difficult as it was impossible to correctly position any of the parts without all the other parts being in place, so I took a brave pill & cut the body.


Getting the position took a few attempts (as you can tell) but I finally decided on the red outline.

The cap is supposed to be retained by a lock ring which is 10mm thick & screws onto a 54(ish) diameter thread - this same thread also screws into the cap, making the part with the thread very heavy. The cap has three M5 threads in the base, so I decided to turn down the threaded item until there was only enough thread to hold the cap, then retain it with the M5s.



With the hole cut & the cap nestling in it I was able to position the cut down cake tin & then the brackets, drilling them for large head 4mm pop rivets given to me by Duncan some time ago (proper team effort this).






Later on I turned up at my Brother's (see what I did there) & reduced the thread on the threaded part down to something that would allow the M5 threads to be used.
















So with the studs fitted it now looks like this & as a bonus is 160g lighter.














So the rear wing currently looks like this, but tomorrow I'll be fitting the cap & pulling the rivets & if all goes well, the car will be finished (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment