Saturday 21 January 2017

Belly Panels

Yes, yes I know it's been a long time since I wrote - a lot of "stuff" has happened, almost none of it to do with the car - which is all you're interested in right?

OK, it's been cold here, properly seriously cold. It hasn't got above 4deg C at all in the last three weeks, most days don't get significantly above zero. S have I been spending long periods in the un-heated garage? No, but with Mrs Blatter away for the weekend, I have sallied forth. Yesterday I fitted a new high level brake light, when I built the car the choice of LED lights wasn't as broad as it is now & I selected a very neat, thin unit which only came in "clear" (it lights up red obv.), but they now make the same item in red which blends better with the roll bar, so as my in-laws had contributed to the car fund with my birthday present, I bought the new version. Fitting it was  bit of a struggle as the wired pass through the roll bar, but not too bad.
Next up was the bonnet prop, the feet of which got pop-riveted this time - last time they were bonded on, but the effort I didn't need to take it off suggested a more mechanical means of fitting it was appropriate.

Today I started by bleeding the front brakes as I'd had to remove the wishbones & hubs to do the de-rusting. That done I made a load of small brackets for the belly pan, then did some shaping on the panels for that, made brackets to join the pieces together & generally got it closer to being fitted.

Here it is, still with the mark-up writing on it, just a few more things to do & it'll be getting cleaned & sprayed silver ready to go on the car

 One of the things that took the most time was sorting through my old box of aircraft parts to find fasteners & anchor nuts. I found almost enough, but I'll need to use a different size round the outside edges, which is probably no bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment