Friday 7 April 2017

Baffling

Right, definitely positively the last upgrade for this "down" season.

As reported elsewhere, the Fury's oil light comes on under hard acceleration, it used to only happen after the car had been idling "nose up" on a hill, but seems to be getting more frequent - or maybe I'm just looking for it more often. Anyway, the sump is a cast one from bought from Westfield, it is baffled, but the baffle consists of a horizontal deck, with two down plates, which reach neither to the sides, nor to the bottom. They don't stop the oil moving the wrong way, they just inconvenience it a little.
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
 
Initially I thought I'd just make the baffles a better fit, then I thought about replacing it completely.

I bought a couple of "oil surge control valves" - stupidly expensive rubber flaps - & made a baffle plate with them in. It was riveted to angle brackets with sealed pop rivets, so the ball cant escape into the sump, then drilled through the brackets from the outside (Eeek!). I made gaskets for all three bracket positions, put copper washers both sides of the joint AND wet assembled the M4 bolts, so hopefully they won't leak.
IMG_0190.JPG
 
It's cranked like that to avoid the drain plug which is naturally in just the wrong place.

The new deck is essentially the same as the old one, but has a "gutter" bent into it to encourage the oil to run forwards to where the pick-up pipe is & the dipstick hole is flanged down, so the dipstick should always find it's way through, which it didn't before
IMG_0193.JPG
 
Then I bolted the sump back up & went in for my tea.

Will it work? I've no idea, but I plan to find out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment