Tuesday 18 August 2020

New Stuff

 My heart sank.

The e-mail said a package was being delivered to my house by Hermes. Last time this happened I was in, I got the email to say it had arived - it hadn't. No way of responding to the e-mail to say it hadn't.

This time I got an e-mail to say it had been "securely delivered to my letterbox" which sounded promising, but since they'd lied through thier teeth last time........

What had arrived was a box from Car Builder Solutions. As usual, everything I ordered, in a box, there when they said it woud be.

When I got home I found that my parcel had been "securely delivered" to a puddle on my drive not far from the front door. Lucky it wasn't anything water sensit........ Oh, a USB charger socket for the car.

(sigh)

Anyway, I set about installing stuff, I was going to put the USB on the B pillar behind the seat, but decided against it as I don't yet know where the roll bar mounts to. Instead I fitted it where the choke cable was, using the wiring for the light in the choke cable to make it work (it did still work). By now the dash was all out of the car, so I set about fitting the LED capable flasher unit, followed by two LED indicator bulbs I found among my stuff when moving house. The flasher unit is electronic, so doesn't "tick", with the roof down the tick was inaudible & the dash warning lights were unsee-able with no roof, so next I thought I'd fit the indicator buzzer, taking it one step at a time, assisted by finding stumps of wires soldered into the indicator feeds & cut off.


 

While looking for them, I found a self-tapper lodged in the wiring at the back of the ignition switch. I'll repeat that - SOMEONE HAD DROPED A POINTY SELF-TAPPER INTO THE PERMANETLY LIVE WIRING DIRECT FROM THE BATTERY & NOT BOTHERED TO UNDO THREE OTHER SELF-TAPPERS & REMOVE A SMALL COWL TO RETRIEVE IT.

 

Then I noticed the connector had pulled off the brake light switch. Then I noticed that even though the original Ford wiring was long enough to reach the switch, someone had crimped 6" of wire on.

Then crimped another 2" of wire onto that.

Then soldered the connector & two 1" lengths of wire on to that.

I have already significantly reduced the weight of this car just by cutting out unecessary wiring!

Anyway, the buzzer works & has a mute switch built into the place where the stereo joystick thing was. The USB works & little by little the wiring is getting straightened, reduced, properly terminated & untangled.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to agree with you but that wiring sounds a lot like how I've done mine, so I haven't got a leg to stand on.

    Welcome back, by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete