Tuesday 30 May 2023

RogueRunners '23 - Day 2

I have to admit to Day two being a bit of a mystery. As I sat down to write this I could remember very little about it.

I know it was a loop out from Selkirk & back, I remember we went east, I'm pretty sure it was epic - because it always is with the Rogues.


But as I start to go through the pictures & the pace notes it comes flooding back. We headed due west into England To the coast at Alnwick, but on the way there, one of our brethren had called for a wee stop (we were still in Scotland at this point) & after a mile or two, I found the ideal spot, secluded, picturesque (for those who didn't know where to look), perfect, but too late, a stop had already been had.

We moved on, crossing the border into Northumberland, passing through Alnwick & Seahouses, past Bamburgh Castle from the opposite to usual direction & away west, stopping for cake before going back into Scotland around Coldstream.

At some point we past the lake of the devil sheep. We came this way last year, the road passes a dam, runs up the side of the lake (possibly loch) & then up a steep hill where last year I fell flat on my face in the road while attempting to photograph my car. But I remembered there were a small number of "devil sheep" & sure enough they were there again.

After the steep hill there are another two lakes, or reservoirs, or lochs & it's all very scenic, with good driving & little traffic. By now we had passed Selkirk to the north & turned to head back.

We were looking for refreshment, but there was none to be found until we rolled through a small village & found a pub with a prominent OPEN sign. We parked up & went in, trying not to be put off by the large stuffed badger under a bench seat as we entered.

Apart from the stuffed badger, it was a nice place & we supped our coffee & reflected on the days driving.

After that is was a short hop back to The Glen, a good meal & some sitting round in the bar telling stories & remembering memories - which it seems I then forgot.


No comments:

Post a Comment