Friday 2 November 2018

The Cap Fits!

This afternoon I've been fitting the new fuel cap to the Fury. The old one came off easy enough & the new one seemed happy enough, so I cut the cake tin / splash bowl to suit & tentatively fitted the boot lid, the existing hole was way too small & it looked as if I'd need to cut a slot a long way forward to allow the cap to open, so I began tentatively, removing small amounts of GRP with a tungsten carbide file. Then (inevitably) I got bored & went at it with a coarse burr (like a cylindrical-file-on-a-stick) mounted in a drill gun......set on "fast".





This may sound like the prelude to a tale of woe, but I was not failed by my aircraft fitting skills & I must say I'm rather pleased with the result.











There's more work to do yet. I need to even up the gaps & the boot lid isn't sitting down properly yet, but height-wise it's pretty much exactly where I wanted it













And - astonishingly - it opens! (that's a locking cap inside the lid).
Again, there's a little more cutting & filing to do to make it work "nicely", but it is going to be extremely cool


The new splash bowl is only just big enough & is fouling the boot lid stiffeners a little, but again that's just fettling, once I've got the boot lid to sit down properly.

Once it's all done & working I need to shorted the boot rack stays a bit as the lid just fouls as it opens, so the rack needs to be lifted a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment