Saturday 7 October 2017

Snail Mail

Obviously I'll need a something to rotate the shaft from the last post. At the moment the throttle pedal is too sensitive, so the thing-to-rotate-the-shaft needs to be lower geared than the Suzuki motorcycle quadrant currently fitted. It also needs to be a "snail" quadrant i.e. lower geared at the start of the travel to allow for finer control with small throttle openings, then getting higher geared as the pedal get's further through it's travel. I measured the Suzuki quadrant & the gearing at idle was 1/2 that at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) so I copied that, but also doubled the gearing throughout the range. No idea if it'll give the results I'm after, but it's a start.

It's a piece of alloy the width of the cable, with a piece of thin stainless either side, then repeated so I can run two cables. Here's what it looks like:-



On the car, the M6 bolt lower right will be replaced by the shaft & the cable nipples will go in the hole bottom left (I need to cut a small slot to make that work). At the moment it weighs 81g which I'd like to reduce tomorrow if I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment